Throughout
life, we have to make choices. Some choices are relatively
straightforward. Others are very much more difficult. Some choices don’t
affect the rest of our life very much. There are, however, choices
which affect the whole of our life. There is one choice which is more
important than any other - Choosing the Lord Jesus Christ as your
Saviour. Those who refuse to choose are ‘double-minded’(Psalm 119:113).
They can’t make up their mind. They know that they should be following
Christ - but they are still ‘in love with the world’. They are ‘lovers
of pleasure rather than lovers of God’ (I John 2:15; 2 Timothy 3:4).
Make your choice. Say to the world, ‘Away from me, you evildoers, that I
may keep the commands of my God’. Say to God, ‘I have decided to obey
Your laws until the day I die’ (Psalm 119:115,112).
In this post, I will draw comparisons between Arminius and Berkouwer. * Bangs points out that the historical situation in Holland was not a simple one - Calvinism coming in, Arminius nearly ruining it and the Synod of Dort restoring it: “The earliest Dutch Reformed leaders don’t seem to be Calvinists at all. They rise out of the soil, here and there, nurtured by the old Dutch biblical piety, not seized by dogmatic insights, but steadily pressing toward a purified life of faith according to Scripture” (p. 21). This emphasis is similar to Berkouwer’s insistence that election is not a special gnosis for the theological elite. Rather, it is a confession of faith, arising from the hearts of those who have come to know the grace of God ( Divine Election (DE), p. 216). * Bangs observes that Arminius’ theological method is “practical and through faith”: “For the Theology which belongs to this world, is practical and through faith: Theoretical Theology belongs to the o...
Comments
Post a Comment